I Am Still (not) Housekeeping

A little update since my last housekeeping post:





1. My name. Some of you may remember the J.A. Zobair business. Originally, I decided to publish under my initials, for a variety of reasons. Reasons which no longer make sense, and which I'd be happy to discuss over a two-liter of Mountain Dew with anyone if he or she, say, decides to come to AWP in March. HINT HINT.

Over the summer, with helpful input from my agent and editor, I decided to go with "Jennifer."  I'm really happy about this decision, and I'll be thrilled to see my name on the cover of Painted Hands.

Which brings us to the next two points:





2. I have a release date!  [Actually, insert 500 exclamation points here.] Painted Hands is scheduled to be released on June 11th.  As you can see, I've installed a handy little countdown on my iPhone (which will only be accurate for your purposes on the day I post this.) (The app came with other handy dates like New Year's Day and--whew--the World Cup. So I'm all set?)







3. The book cover. Okay, this is a tease, since I don't have anything to show you yet. But in the back and forth on this, I am blown away by how committed both my agent and editor are to capturing my story on the cover of this book. Blown away, and really, really grateful. More to come.







4. The Dreaded Author Photo. Gorgeous, isn't it?

Okay. I had some pictures taken in September. I am having more taken in December. Enough said.






5. Blurbs. I am so honored that Roopa Farooki (Orange Prize finalist and author of Bitter Sweets, Half Life, and The Flying Man) and Anne Cherian (author of A Good Indian Wife and The Invitation) have read and blurbed my novel. You can see what they said about Painted Hands here.

***
 

As always, I am eternally grateful to my agent, Kent Wolf, and my editor, Toni Plummer, for all of this. Except the author photo, which is a debacle of my own making.


16 comments:

  1. I AM SO EXCITED! You have spent a long time attending to a thousand details, so I'm so happy for you that it's coming together.

    Can't wait to read the book!

    And those blurbs! Blurberrific!! You should be proud. (I am!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your excitement, Wendy! I am excited, too. "!!!!!!!!!"

      Delete
  2. You couldn't have a better release date than June 11. Some really good things have happened on June 11. If your book sells a squillion copies, it will be because it was published on June 11.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can share a cake!

      My half will say "happy book birthday!" and your half will say "happy regular birthday!" and will have a squillion candles.

      Delete
  3. I've started working on the "Promote the hell out of Jazz's book" order of that Sarah lady.

    Good to see from the blurbs that you've not been sitting idle all this time. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What, no comment on my author photo?? :)

      Thanks, Aniket! I like the sound of that marketing plan. Hope you are well!

      Delete
  4. Wow, there's so much exciting news here! The little magenta sketch of you would really make people think as they are buying a book called Painted Hands. I hope the 7 months go by quickly for me, because I want your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Davin!

      And if things don't go well in December, that might be my author photo!

      Delete
    2. I always remember Matthew McConaughey's quote about being photographed on my (many many) photo shoots.

      "I'm wicked. I'm sexy. I'm heaven."

      Delete
    3. I feel like you are making the case for the little magenta sketch of me.

      It's the Zen Brush app, by the way. HOURS of entertainment.

      Delete
    4. That's exactly what I say every time I'm on the catwalk. Although, I'm pretty sure that's the wrong vibe for her book? (But if he were on the book I'd buy two copies. Just keep that in mind for future reference.)

      Delete
    5. Yes, this novel is not that Matthew McConaughey-ish. (And just between the two of us, I had to cheat and look at Davin's comment to spell that correctly.)

      Now I have to know: Did you all see "The Wedding Planner?"

      True Confession: I love that movie.

      Delete
  5. Can't wait for your pub date!! Aniket and I will be fiendishly plotting until that day comes.

    In the interim, maybe you could work on a picture book to go along with the lovely, magenta mini-Jennifer? She looks really happy, and I love the hair, especially.

    I'm excited for you. And impatient. And just really happy that everything's coming together. Less than 7 months!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I think once we are past the holidays, it is going to seem really soon to me.

      I love the idea of that picture book. It could be sort of inspirational: "There is no problem bigger than my magenta hair!"

      Can't wait to turn you and Aniket loose!



      Delete
  6. I'm not sure why, but the thought of Aniket and Sarah working on your advance team amuses me. Perhaps it's because it makes me think you're in for quite a ride if they take the reins.

    As well, I couldn't help but note that you used italics in a response. Are you studying HTML when you're not planning world domination?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been known to throw down an italic in many a blog comment, Richard.

      Many a blog comment.

      And the only reason I would seriously contemplate either world domination or studying HTML is because it would drive Aniket nuts.

      Delete