A few weeks ago, the ridiculously talented Davin Malasarn and I had a Twitter conversation that went something like this:
Him: Is this a challenge?
Me: Maybe. Maybe we should have a little challenge. :)
Now, here we are, announcing the “Best Short Story I Have Ever Read (Asterisk)” Smackdown!
First, I want to address the (Asterisk).
* Yes, we realize it is impossible and unfair to actually declare that any one story is truly the best short story one has ever read. The reality is that there are many important short stories and many important short story writers and all of this is in fun.
On with it!
Announcing the “Best Short Story I Have Ever Read (Asterisk)” Smackdown!
1. On Wednesday, December 12 you can post the title/author of your ONE story selection, with a description of why you chose it in the comments on this blog,. We will not allow any comments naming more than one story. No second places. No ties. But, see rule #3.
2. Because there must be pie involved, you must send me a picture of a pie you made or purchased (or at least will eat) during the Smackdown prior to naming your short story. I’ll put the pictures up in the blog post. Davin says there’s extra credit if your pie is connected to the short story you chose.
3. For those of you who still want to rave about additional short stories, you can post your second helpings over at Davin’s brilliant new-ish blog, What’s Davin Eating? (It’s about food, but not really.)
4. The winner of our “Best Short Story I Have Ever Read (Asterisk)” Smackdown will be decided without the use of any logic and may or may not receive a prize from us. In the comments, you are allowed to make your case for why yours should be the winner!
See you there! With pie!