"The Best Short Story I Have Ever Read (Asterisk) Smackdown" is Coming!



 

A few weeks ago, the ridiculously talented Davin Malasarn and I had a Twitter conversation that went something like this:

 
Me: Even now, on 4th or 5th read, sure "Brokeback Mountain" is the best short story I have ever read. Devastating. Brilliant. Am in awe, still.

 Him: Is this a challenge?

 Me: Maybe. Maybe we should have a little challenge. :)

 
And somehow the conversation moved to his blog comment section, where the “challenge” became a “smackdown” (my doing) and involved very cool people like Wendy Russ and Scott G. F. Bailey, and of course pie (again, my doing).

 Now, here we are, announcing the “Best Short Story I Have Ever Read (Asterisk)” Smackdown!

 First, I want to address the (Asterisk).

 * Yes, we realize it is impossible and unfair to actually declare that any one story is truly the best short story one has ever read. The reality is that there are many important short stories and many important short story writers and all of this is in fun.

 On with it!

 Announcing the “Best Short Story I Have Ever Read (Asterisk)” Smackdown!

 The rules:

 1. On Wednesday, December 12 you can post the title/author of your ONE story selection, with a description of why you chose it in the comments on this blog,. We will not allow any comments naming more than one story. No second places. No ties. But, see rule #3.

 2. Because there must be pie involved, you must send me a picture of a pie you made or purchased (or at least will eat) during the Smackdown prior to naming your short story. I’ll put the pictures up in the blog post. Davin says there’s extra credit if your pie is connected to the short story you chose.

 3. For those of you who still want to rave about additional short stories, you can post your second helpings over at Davin’s brilliant new-ish blog, What’s Davin Eating? (It’s about food, but not really.)

 4. The winner of our “Best Short Story I Have Ever Read (Asterisk)” Smackdown will be decided without the use of any logic and may or may not receive a prize from us. In the comments, you are allowed to make your case for why yours should be the winner!
 
 
See you there! With pie!
 


 
PLEASE NOTE: Email the pie pics to me (jazobair AT comcast DOT net) anytime between now and Wednesday.

17 comments:

  1. Can't wait! I'm still struggling to decide what story to pick. It's dastardly to have to choose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer tends to be a very dastardly person. You should have seen her in her roller derby days. Watch out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect smackdown comment, Davin. Let's see what you've got on the 12th!

      Delete
  3. Jennifer, congratulations on PAINTED HANDS! I didn't know about your book deal, but I'm very happy for you. Looking forward to June!

    My favorite short story is the Henry James one about the halftime pie-eating contest at the roller derby match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is when you know it's Friday.

      Delete
    2. Now, I am missing Friday Filler.

      Scott, thank you so much! And I assume this means we will see you on the 12th??

      Delete
    3. Yes, I'll be here! I'll tell everyone about Henry James and the Roller Derby Pie Queen.

      Delete
    4. Okay, now I am really looking forward to the 12th!

      Delete
  4. Do essays/parables count?
    Do we have to post a picture? You so don't want to see me eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has to be fiction. But think of all the short stories you love. Think author Sarah Hina!

      Also you don't have to take a pic eating the pie! Just the pie will do. Although if Davin can award extra points for linking the pie to the story, I feel like I can give extra points for pictures of you all actually eating.

      Delete
    2. Blog post, not published into some journal/book count, right?
      Then, as you mentioned, it zeros down to at least one author. Just have to pick the story. :)

      Delete
    3. There is no requirement that it be published in a journal or collection, but it should be somewhere people can find it because if you make your case, people are going to want to read it.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. Challenge accepted!
      I'll send you http://sarahhina.blogspot.com/something on 12th :D

      Delete
  5. I already know my story and pie! In fact, my daughter gave a little squeal when I mentioned the pie connection. She's pro pie.

    And Aniket, you could do SO much better, but you know I'm flattered, anyway. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Sarah. I can't wait to see the story AND the pie!

      Delete
  6. I'm still full from Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete