The Perfect Mix of Us

Today is my oldest baby's birthday. He is a very fabulous fifteen.

We are "those people"--the ones who got pregnant when we were in the process of adopting. If you can arrange such a thing, I highly recommend it. It's the kind of amazing, instant family that makes the woman who interviewed the nannies and swore she'd never take more than a six-week maternity leave quit her job.

As you may know, my husband is of South Asian descent. I am a mutt of various European nationalities. Our son is African American. He has always been the kind of kid that people gravitate to--exceptionally cute, ridiculously outgoing. I took him along to one of my doctor's appointments when he was two, and the doctor fell in love with him. "He just shines," she said. And she was right.

But the best thing anyone ever said to us came later, while we were out shopping. An elderly woman approached and talked to him for a bit, and then turned to my husband and me and said, "He's so beautiful. He's the perfect combination of the two of you."

I could have kissed her.

When we were at the very beginning of the adoption process, the agency called my office and said that I could come pick up a photo of the boy who would become our son, "if I wanted." I rushed to tell my boss and my paralegal. They both said, "Go!"

And I did. And this was the first song on the radio when I started my car.




Exactly.





10 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful and sweet. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brought tears to my eyes! Tell him Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Tim! I'll tell him. I cannot believe he is FIFTEEN!

      Delete
  3. This has got to be the best post ever. :)

    Happy birthday to your wonderful boy. You were meant to find one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! We have been so blessed.

      And tonight, we are celebrating with Thai food and cake with lots and lots of frosting. :)

      Delete
  4. What a great story and great post. Please pass along a happy birthday for me as well!

    There is really no feeling like the one you get when your family gets a new member. It's an amazing experience no matter how they happen to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Wendy. I couldn't have said it better myself.

      And thank you! I'll definitely pass on your birthday wishes!

      Delete
  5. The absolute bestest thing I ever did in my life was become a dad. Congratulations to a kindred spirit and her fabulous fifteen-year-old.

    Except, of course, in your case it's "mom" rather than "dad."

    Unless there's something you're not telling us . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve. I know you know what I mean, from your writing about your daughter.

      It's mom. Or momifer. But not dad. As far as I know.

      Delete