An Update on Painted Hands by Jennifer Zobair


Oh wait. That's me!

So I've been pretty bad about blogging lately. For what it's worth, I blame Facebook. And not just because it's trendy to blame Facebook, but because I made an author page there in addition to a personal profile, and I've been posting updates there instead of here. But also? I liked that the post on Muslim bad girls was at the top of the blog. I may eventually move it back up anyway, like I did after posting about my Ted Fox thing. (Sorry, Ted!)

So things are happening. Most importantly, Painted Hands will be released on June 11th. It's been a year and a couple of months since we got the offer from Toni Plummer at St. Martin's, and at the time it seemed like FOREVER to wait. But now? It feels like it has flown by.

In March, I went to New York to meet with Toni and my agent, Kent Wolf, and my in-house publicist. I was, of course, a nervous wreck. On the way to meet Kent at his office, my cab driver turned out to be a Pakistani Muslim. When he found out I was married to a Pakistani American man and I was a Muslim and I had a novel about Muslim women forthcoming from a major publisher, he got all fanboy on me, and it completely calmed me down. Kent was as brilliant and funny in person as he is on the phone--you should all have lunch with him if you can--and Toni was graceful and warm and lovely. The lunch only confirmed that I was in such great hands.

My in-house and independent publicists have just sent out about a zillion review copies, and I am waiting patiently (ha!) to see what happens with that. In the meantime, you can read this gorgeous review of Painted Hands by author Sarah Hina (Plum Blossoms in Paris, Medallion, 2010).

Some very awesome friends, Wendy Russ and Stephan Andrew Parrish, are planning a virtual release party on Facebook on June 11th. I hope you will be there! And for local people, some equally awesome friends and my awesome husband are throwing a party for me that weekend. Email me for details!

Let's see...what else. I have an essay on multicultural fiction and bigotry forthcoming from The Rumpus and I'll be interviewed or have guest posts on or near June 11th at places like Drey's Library and Shelf Pleasure. I'm also doing Richard Levangie's "25 Questions," and you know you want to see what my guilty pleasures are! A list of online appearances will be up soon on my Events and Media page, where right now you can find my local scheduled appearances, including the Boston Public Library and Porter Square Books in Cambridge.

I will say it a million times in the next few weeks, but let me start by saying it here: I could not have made this journey without the amazingly talented and generous and kind writers I have met through blogging and social media. You have read my work, and my inane blog posts, and shared similar experiences of writing and revising and querying and hoping and crying in a parking lot and dancing in the front yard with me. I adore you all, and I am so very grateful.




9 comments:

  1. I ordered your book about three months ago. Or at least a long time ago. It feels like years. And now it's almost here! Hooray! Thanks for the update, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Davin! I think you must have left FB right as I got on. I hope you are well, and writing, and gearing up for another smackdown in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so exciting!! I read the excerpts on Amazon today and thoroughly enjoyed them- I have to get myself a copy.. I just read your interview on drey's shelf (i think that was the website) and found myself nodding to a lot of what you said. Especially the part about Islam having a feminist spirit (that most people are ignorant of; My Dad and then my husband read Reza Aslan's No God but God, so I have a lot of second hand info- which reminds me, I need to read that book!- I noticed you mention it in the earlier chapters).

    I grew up in India where Hindu-Muslim friendships and clashes occur side by side. On a daily basis, the many religions coexist with no problems and then some political leader will do something stupid or terrible and..oh don't even get me started- my blood will begin to boil lol
    But this is something that interests me too (and plays a big role in my WIP- one of my main characters is a progressive Muslim woman- Meher).

    Anyway, I just had to stop by and comment- good luck!!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Lavanya! So many interesting thoughts in there--Reza Aslan's book, and your experience growing up in India--but I am really interested in your WIP! Would love to hear more.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I couldn't wait to get my hands on a print copy- so I bought the kindle edition to read on my laptop (even tho' i'd have preferred the hard copy)..:) can't wait to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lavanya! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
    2. I did enjoy it- read it through part of the night and finished it! l especially loved how nuanced all your characters were..:)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your upcoming release! I've read the premise and it looks fabulous. So glad your meeting with your agent and publisher went well. Sounds like a memorable day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Caryn! Actually, I am so bad about blogging that my release has happened! :) The book came out in June. Thank you for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete